Sunday, May 18, 2008

Trying to stay social

I chose to read the articles that pertained to social networking. I really liked these articles and some of the sites talked about I have used before. I had facebook no to long after it got going but I got off of it when it was time to find a job teaching. I had been told that it wasn't good and that potential employers would frown upon it. After teaching for two years now and seeing how many students have it I can really see how it could be used and both teachers and students could benefit from it.
One article talked about how there are both good and bad sides about facebook but that often comes from the maturity level of the pictures and what people choose to post. The same article talked about active participation from the student in learning and this would be a great way to be active. Blogging is another great way to be active and could potentially be a little more safe in my eyes because you won't be affected as much by the friends/readers that you have.
Students would be able to ask questions, post assignments, and share ideas. If closely monitored I think that different types of social networking would be great for a classroom, and or an entire school.
The articles I read did a great job of showing the pros and cons of social networking. This is somthing that I hope we continue to explore and it is somthing that I will continue to work with for my classes and school.

No comments: